Sunday, February 7, 2016

Road to Big Sur: Finishing 20 miles!

Couch, coffee and Kindle after my run!

I'm only finishing week 7 of my 18 week training cycle for Big Sur, but I completed my first 20 mile run yesterday. While that may be a bit early, I am relieved to know that I can get through a 20 miler, and that I have more than two months left to build on my efforts. 

Since I did a Hansons training plan for the City of Oaks Marathon in November 2014, I didn't do a training run longer than 16 miles. We all know how much that ended up biting me on race day, and for the year of hip pain that followed. I just wasn't prepared. 

Getting to 20 early on this time, and having time to drop down and build back up twice more will hopefully give me the base and the confidence I need to tackle Big Sur. I know I will need it with those hills!

And now, I am looking forward to a week of 6-7 milers, most of which will be in Portland, Oregon!

No comments:

Post a Comment