Friday, May 11, 2012

Race Report: Fair Oaks Sun Run

I joined several of the Chips at the Fair Oaks Sun Run last Sunday, and had a great time. It was the first race where I really had an opportunity to warm up and cool down with the group, and that was actually helpful. The extra miles helped me not feel so bad for replacing my long run with a 5 miles race.

The race itself was challenging, but actually pretty fun. It winds through Old Fair Oaks, up and down hills on quiet residential streets. It goes out and back on Sailor Bar, an unkempt potion of the parkway rife with ruts and rocks. The nice part of the Bar- it is mostly flat!

I went out too fast as usual, keeping to my 10k pace for the first two miles of hills. I slowed way down after that, and finished in 41:32, around 8:19 or so average per mile. I felt challenged, so I'm happy with that finish. I wasn't trying to achieve a particular time, so much as get more experience racing on hills. I think that will ultimately help me prepare for the San Francisco marathon.

The best part was lunch after. Some of the Chips met at Denny's, and I had a huge plate of blueberry banana wheat pancakes, scrambled eggs, potatoes and turkey bacon. Yum! I really enjoy being part of such a fun group.

Here is a race picture:
Crossing the finish line!

No comments:

Post a Comment