Sunday, February 16, 2014

Obstacle Course

This morning, later than I'd like to admit, I went running. I've been running on the treadmill because of the weather, but at almost 40 degrees out at about 10 this morning, the great outdoors called my name.

I went out this morning with the goal of doing five miles. I charted a loop on google maps, taking me along the outside of Duke's West Campus to where my street dead ends, back through a neighborhood, and around the cemetary. At around 5.3 miles according to good old Google, I figured I'd walk the last two blocks or so to make it 5.

I set out, hoping that the course I mapped was mostly snow-free and had sidewalk. Much of Durham, unfortunately, is similar to the suburbs of Sacramento in that it often lacks sidewalk, even on heavily-travelled roads. About the first half of the way out was paved, but much of it was still covered in snow or ice, so I ran in the bike lane (at least I had that). Past campus, the bike land and sidewalk ended, as did any semblance of shoulder. I ran in the street, past a road-side memorial, hoping that facing traffic and being out in broad daylight would be good enough protection against speeding cars.

Luckily, I managed not to fall in snow or ice, and not to get hit by a car while out on my run. I'm planning not to test my luck again, so a new five mile route is in order. All told, the five miles were slow, but I was dodging obstacles along the way. Today's run matched my previous longest run since I broke my leg, and aside from the fear of cars and snow, felt fine.

I think I'll try this again tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment