Sunday, June 5, 2011

Race Report: Women's Fitness festival 5k (New 5k PR: 22:40!)

This morning I ran the Kaiser Permanente Women's Fitness Festival 5k, and it went very well. I started out with low expectations, because I haven't been training much, and I especially haven't been doing speed work. I wanted to beat my time from last year- basically get under 24 minutes. Ideally, I wanted under 23, but figured that wouldn't happen.

I started out and felt fine at around a 7:30 pace. I kept it up, and sped up considerably at Capitol park about half a mile from the finish. A nice woman next to me kept telling me not to let me pass her. It helped keeep me from slowing down- my stomach was churning big time, but I really wanted to finish fast.

I saw the clock, and it was around 22:30. I sprinted in, and thought I might throw up at the finish. I knew I got under 23, so I was happy.

A while later, after getting breakfast and looking for friends, I heard them announce that results were posted on the side of the merchandise tent. I went over, and saw that I finished third in my age group!

Here are the results:
22:40.1 chip time
7:19 per mile
47th Overall
3rd in F 25-29

Otherwise known as my new PR.

And I got this:

No comments:

Post a Comment